Oh my, 2012 was a busy year at Prospect Park Books. And all that activity was laying the foundation for what we think is a very exciting 2013. The most visible evidence of our growth is this new site. Thanks to David Gordon of Ashland Websites for making it happen, and yes, you should hire him to create your site.
Here’s what’s new for 2013, in a nutshell:
— Our books are now distributed by Consortium Book Sales & Distribution. To say we’re pleased and proud to be part of the Consortium/Perseus family is an understatement. The great people there both cherish great books and know how to sell them. Another Perseus company, Constellation, is handling the distribution of our e-books.
— Patty O’Sullivan, our associate publisher and CFO, has joined founder Colleen Dunn Bates in ownership of Prospect Park Books.
— Jennifer Bastien has joined the team as our marketing associate. She’s so much more, though, from a savvy judge of book proposals to an insightful manuscript reader.
— We knocked out a couple of walls, went crazy with the paint, and turned our Pasadena office into not just a great place to work, but a fun place to throw parties. We’ve already had two.
— We’re continuing to build on the success of our four 2012 titles: The Neurotic Parent’s Guide to College Admissions, Vulture Verses, Things I Want to Punch in the Face, and Little Flower: Recipes from the Cafe. They’ve all been critical and commercial successes, and we’ll grow their audiences in 2013.
— We created a new imprint, Raymond Press, to publish quality custom books.
— And, of course we’re publishing new books: nine of them in the coming year, five in the spring/summer catalog and four in the fall/winter catalog. Here’s the lineup:
• January 2013: The Break-Up Activity Book: Crafting Your Way Through a Broken Heart, by Lynn Chang (humor/gift)
• March 2013: Strawberry Yellow, a Mas Arai novel by Naomi Hirahara (fiction/mystery)
• April 2013: Literary Pasadena: The Fiction Edition (short fiction anthology)
• May 2013: Elizabeth the First Wife, by Lian Dolan (fiction)
• June 2013: Texas Twist, a Radar Hoverlander novel by John Vorhaus (fiction)
• September 2013: The Devil’s Interval, by Linda Peterson (fiction/mystery)
• October 2013: Who Wants Seconds? A Cook’s Journal with Sound Advice & Recipes, by Jennie Cook (cookbook)
• January 2014: Quit Smoking for Life: The Proven, 5-step Method That’s Given Millions Back Their Health & Happiness (health/self-help from Raymond Press)
• February 2014: All the Happiness You Deserve, by Michael Piafsky (fiction)