Note: This job has been filled; we had a phenomenal response, more than we could process, so please understand if you applied and have not heard back from us. Thanks to all who took the time to apply.
Are you looking for an engaging, flexible, part-time job in the exciting world of book publishing? Read on!
Prospect Park Books, one of L.A.’s leading independent presses, is looking for a motivated, organized, cheerful multitasker who is ready to help us thrive. The successful candidate will manage marketing and production processes, organize the office, and help us manage book production, as well as some jack-of-all-trades tasks. Please note that this is an administrative position, not an editorial position. It offers schedule flexibility and a friendly and informal but focused workplace.
This is a half-time (20 hours a week) freelance job, and we need someone ASAP.
You’re a good fit if you have:
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- General office experience
- Computer proficiency, preferably Mac
- Software expertise including Word, Excel, and the Mac platform; bonus points for InDesign
- Solid writing and communication skills
- People skills and sense of humor, but happy in a generally quiet work environment
- A willingness to do everything from taking out the trash to weighing in on cover design
- A fascination with the book business
- Valid driver’s license and ability to run errands
Your work will include:
- Setting up, organizing, and tracking bookstore and other author events
- Assisting with marketing and publicity research, mailings, and outreach
- Assisting with book events
- Managing the scheduling and tracking of books in production
- Obtaining and tracking print quotes
- Obtaining, tracking, and inputting book metadata
- Handling Library of Congress and Copyright filings
- Book inventory, shipping and delivery
- Various errands, deliveries, organizational tasks, and chores as needed
Prospect Park Books is a growing independent press in Pasadena, soon to be moving to Altadena. Founded in 2006 as a publisher of regional books, we now produce high-quality books for a national audience, with a focus on fiction, cookbooks, and gift/humor/regional. We’re proud of our collaborative, creative, informal work environment and our boutique approach to hand-selling our titles and supporting our authors.
Sound right for you? Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.